Running an unlocked Galaxy Tab on AT&T’s tablet tariff
My Galaxy Tab came from the US, and is AT&T branded. As soon as I got it I installed a stock firmware as I didn’t want to live with the various restrictions AT&T had imposed (and I also wanted to use a UK data plan).
For my holiday in the US I wanted to get the AT&T SIM that came with it going, as $25 for 2GB of data (over 30 days) seemed pretty reasonable to me. I signed up at www.att.com/buyasession setting the start date for when I would arrive in the US.
Sadly things didn’t go perfectly to plan, and when I switched on my Tab it didn’t connect to data. The issue turned out to be APNs. There is plenty of guidance out there on the web about using a Tab with the standard AT&T data APNs, but that’s not what I wanted to do.
It turned out that I needed to connect to an APN called BROADBAND (all CAPS), and then everything connected as it should.
Once it was working I must say that it worked well. I hear a lot of whining about AT&T’s data network, but my subjective experience was that it was pretty good – usually delivering an HSPA connection.
 Maybe I missed the check box first time through, but I had to go back later to ensure that my data plan didn’t auto renew when the 30 days expired.
 For more on the various AT&T APNs check out this.
Filed under: howto | 3 Comments
Tags: android, APN, AT&T, broadband, Galaxy Tab, tablet, unlocked