My letter to my MP about the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill
Dear Mr Soames,
Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill
I’m pretty sure you’ll toe the party line on this one, but if I don’t write to you then you don’t know about objection from (at least one of) your constituents.
I am outraged by this legislation being pushed through in the manner that it is.
I am further outraged that this legislation is necessary for Her Majesty’s Government to cover what has been illegal activity demanded of telecoms and Internet service providers since the European Court of Justice ruling in April that invalidated the EU-wide data retention law.
I am most outraged that no evidence has been presented to the public to show that the use of the data collected is effective and provides value for our tax pounds. Instead we have scaremongering over ‘terrorists’ and other criminal elements along with the ‘nothing to hide nothing to fear’ rhetoric.
I look forward to your canned reply with the usual bluster about defence of the realm, protecting UK interests and the need to allow security services to operate in secret without proper oversight because they’re doing a fine job looking after us and should be left to get on with it.
Filed under: politics | Leave a Comment
Tags: data retention, DRIP, privacy, spying
Raspberry Pi Downloads
- Making an image file from an SD card on Windows
- Forwarding DNS queries to AWS VPC resolvers
- Asus Tinker Board - First Impressions
- Howto stunnel from HTTPS to HTTPS
- Goodbye CSC, Hello DXC Technology
- Raspberry Pi GPIO Joystick
- Three doesn't feel at home on 4G networks
- Apache 2.2 on Ubuntu 14.04
- AirPlay on Raspberry Pi the easy way
- Self Encrypting Drives
The Politics of Data… on The Politics of Data Hello DXC – Ne… on Goodbye CSC, Hello DXC Te… kevinphilp on Goodbye CSC, Hello DXC Te… Lisa Braun on A day in the life of a CT… Steve Williams on Asus Tinker Board – Firs…
- Tinker Board | Single-board Computer | ASUS United Kingdom
- How just 639 people could have stopped a Tory election majority
- Nuh-uh, Google, you WILL hand over emails stored on foreign servers, says US judge
- Corbynism or barbarism, part II
- Opinion: Big banks will fall because they keep hiring people
- A Mind Is Born
- I2C Master
- Tensor Processing Unit
- Language is training artificial intelligence to replicate human bias
- SSH Port
- Love it that I can get a whole 660ml bomber into my @monkigras Homebrew Edition glass https://t.co/maThmAX1bq 8 hours ago
- RT @CarolineLucas: Sacrificing our economy at the altar of ending freedom of movement. I don't say this lightly, but that's exactly what th… 9 hours ago
- @alexgalbraith of course not - it was a beater test 🥁 Tim here all week, tip generously. 11 hours ago
- RT @CraigMurrayOrg: I think this is a good moment to ask people to look back at this on how scarily authoritarian May's Britain is https://… 12 hours ago
- @ianmiell Is that the same way as `scp` arguments? Is that the same way as `ln -s` arguments? Are they all the same… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago