My letter to my MP about the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill
Dear Mr Soames,
Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill
I’m pretty sure you’ll toe the party line on this one, but if I don’t write to you then you don’t know about objection from (at least one of) your constituents.
I am outraged by this legislation being pushed through in the manner that it is.
I am further outraged that this legislation is necessary for Her Majesty’s Government to cover what has been illegal activity demanded of telecoms and Internet service providers since the European Court of Justice ruling in April that invalidated the EU-wide data retention law.
I am most outraged that no evidence has been presented to the public to show that the use of the data collected is effective and provides value for our tax pounds. Instead we have scaremongering over ‘terrorists’ and other criminal elements along with the ‘nothing to hide nothing to fear’ rhetoric.
I look forward to your canned reply with the usual bluster about defence of the realm, protecting UK interests and the need to allow security services to operate in secret without proper oversight because they’re doing a fine job looking after us and should be left to get on with it.
Filed under: politics | Leave a Comment
Tags: data retention, DRIP, privacy, spying
Raspberry Pi Downloads
- Making an image file from an SD card on Windows
- Raspberry Pi GPIO Joystick
- Replacing Active Directory DNS with BIND on OpenWRT
- Three doesn't feel at home on 4G networks
- Forwarding DNS queries to AWS VPC resolvers
- Restoring Power
- Howto stunnel from HTTPS to HTTPS
- Using Overlay file system with Docker on Ubuntu
- Raspberry Pi Satellite TV
- AirPlay on Raspberry Pi the easy way
LEGO and Photography… on The perils of modern lego Gurpreet Singh on Why my X230 might be my last L… aaron ng on USB Shaver Charger Chris Swan on Raspberry Pi GPIO Joystic… Fernando Cunha JR on Raspberry Pi GPIO Joystic…
- Ground: A data context service
- Women's March: British and Canadian anti-Trump protesters denied entry to US by border guards
- AWS Details FPGA Rationale and Market Trajectory
- The Army Handgun: A New Poster Child for Acquisition Malpractice?
- The Positive Reframe: Why Trump’s Inauguration is Not the Beginning of an Era — but the End
- How a TV Sitcom Triggered the Downfall of Western Civilization
- Visual Computational Sociology
- The Death of the British Dream
- On Brexit solipsism
- Mini Mac Trumps the Big Mac
- RT @Memset_Kate: The internet is ‘ok’ buff.ly/2jTkv3C IOW, PSN is broke & we have worked out we don't need it anyway. &*%$^@& *head… 38 minutes ago
- blog.ipspace.net/2017/01/never-… 6 hours ago
- RT @alblue: This is well worth reading: popehat.com/2017/01/21/on-… 8 hours ago
- RT @adrianco: AWS Details FPGA Rationale and Market Trajectory - @mndoci nextplatform.com/2017/01/22/aws… 17 hours ago
- RT @swardley: The Army Handgun: A New Poster Child for Acquisition Malpractice? - defensenews.com/articles/the-a… 18 hours ago