My letter to my MP about the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill
Dear Mr Soames,
Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill
I’m pretty sure you’ll toe the party line on this one, but if I don’t write to you then you don’t know about objection from (at least one of) your constituents.
I am outraged by this legislation being pushed through in the manner that it is.
I am further outraged that this legislation is necessary for Her Majesty’s Government to cover what has been illegal activity demanded of telecoms and Internet service providers since the European Court of Justice ruling in April that invalidated the EU-wide data retention law.
I am most outraged that no evidence has been presented to the public to show that the use of the data collected is effective and provides value for our tax pounds. Instead we have scaremongering over ‘terrorists’ and other criminal elements along with the ‘nothing to hide nothing to fear’ rhetoric.
I look forward to your canned reply with the usual bluster about defence of the realm, protecting UK interests and the need to allow security services to operate in secret without proper oversight because they’re doing a fine job looking after us and should be left to get on with it.
Filed under: politics | Leave a Comment
Tags: data retention, DRIP, privacy, spying
Raspberry Pi Downloads
- Making an image file from an SD card on Windows
- Raspberry Pi GPIO Joystick
- The Boiling Conspiracy
- Forwarding DNS queries to AWS VPC resolvers
- Apache 2.2 on Ubuntu 14.04
- Three doesn't feel at home on 4G networks
- Howto stunnel from HTTPS to HTTPS
- Using Overlay file system with Docker on Ubuntu
- Raspberry Pi sous vide water bath
richardwilkinsonfr on Learning to Code Chris Swan on Learning to Code hagrant on Learning to Code richardwilkinsonfr on Learning to Code Learning to Code | C… on The compiler will not save…
- Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton on the issues
- The many hurdles of Brexit
- How to start a startup
- Game Genie declassified: That summer I played 230 Game Boy games
- Software That Writes And Evolves Software
- How Nazi drug abuse steered the course of history
- On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit (pdf)
- Ceefax: What life was like before the internet
- McLaren needs a 20-year-old Compaq laptop to maintain its F1 supercar
- Microservices - this tall to ride
- What are the chances that this breaks pretty much every iPlayer app on existing 'smart' TV's? bbc.co.uk/news/entertain… 6 minutes ago
- Surely (& sadly) any synthetic 'hangover-free' alcohol is banned by Psychoactive Substances Act Nutt argued against bbc.co.uk/news/health-37… 12 hours ago
- RT @ibuildthecloud: you know your tiny computer addiction is bad when you start getting deliveries for computers you forgot you even bought 13 hours ago
- RT @alblue: From the "finally" department ... twitter.com/github/status/… 13 hours ago
- @BenBfathi 1 'corn' == $1Bn (on paper) market cap Therefore a unicorn is a company that's taken a big enough round to have that pro rata 15 hours ago